The Danish Invader. Empingham Road, Stamford, PE9 2SX.
Note: this pub is used by the club as a venue for lessons. Dances in Stamford organised by the same group are held at the Arts Centre in the town centre
Electric Jive is an independent club which opened in 2013 in Stamford Lincolnshire, at the Danish Invader pub, just off the A1.
When I attended there were about 30 or 40 people there, a mix of beginners and more experienced dancers, and for once the claim of being a “friendly” venue was true. It was indeed, and despite the modest number of dancers, I danced through the freestyle without a break – there was always someone wanting a turn on the floor.
Everyone wanted a chat, asked where I regularly danced, and was kindly suggesting it would be nice to see me again.
The club is held in a bar which is closed – a second bar is used for serving the drink. Parking is in the pub car park, and on a Monday night there is no problem.
If you insist on the big venues that Ceroc offers, then this is not for you, but if you like somewhere smaller, and with a friendly atmosphere, I’d go for this venue.
- Atmosphere: 3 out of 5. The hall isn’t designed for atmosphere and the numbers are small, so it’s not an all-out funky location. It’s just a bar turned into a little dance club, but there is nothing wrong in that.
- Do ladies ask men: 5 out of 5. All the time – in fact I can’t think of anywhere where IU have been asked to dance more.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5 – the bar is next door but not crowded, the car park is adequate and right outside, they manage to give some lighting for a bit of atmosphere. The only thing I didn’t see was a water jug and plastic cups, which would have been nice.
- Free water: Yes – go into the bar and ask.
- Friendliness: 5 out of 5. Totally warm and welcoming.
- Location: 5 out of 5. It’s on the edge of Stamford, ok for residents in the town, fine for anyone coming from out of town along the A1. Beware, there is another Empingham Road nearby – you need the one just by the A1.
- Music: 5 out of 5 – nothing I couldn’t dance to.
- Parking: 5 out of 5 large car park right outside. Can get a bit crowded if there is a lot going on in the pub, but it is possible to park on the road outside.
- Space: 5 out of 5 – what is needed is more people there not more space.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5 – but getting close to 5.