John Godber Centre, Ogle Street, Hucknall, NG15 7FQ
This venue is run by Ceroc Heaven, but watch out – it is not listed as Hucknall on their Diary Page on the website. Rather it is just “Temptation”. Nothing wrong with calling an event something – except for old timers like me who are easily confused and expect a venue to be named after, well, the venue.
Anyway, Temptation it is.
Hucknall town centre is a building site at the moment (2017) so beware the road closures, but Ogle Street has remained open throughout. There is parking in Ogle Street itself and there is a car park on the corner before you come into Ogle Street, plus a raised car park just beyond. (Drive past the venue with the venue on your left and then turn left up the ramp).
The venue is on the first floor and perfectly adequate for the size of the crowd with chairs along two sides and tables and chairs at one end. There’s a standard type stage at the other end. Off the dance area there is a separate room with the bar and places to sit and chat, which is rather nice. There is always a free array of food as well.
I have always enjoyed this venue because there’s never a shortage of dances to be had. I’m asked, and there are always ladies to ask – it works well. On one occasion they did run a blues class on a dance night at 8.30pm, which meant that just as the dance floor was getting going, so then people left the dance and went to the class, which I felt interrupted the whole flow of the evening, but maybe that was just me wanting to dance.
- Air conditioning: Never seems to get too hot. No problem.
- Atmosphere: 5 out of 5. It is just a regular room but it really works – not least because people who want to drop out for a while, have the room by the bar to do so in.
- Do ladies ask men: 4 out of 5. Maybe I got lucky but I got requests to dance from beginners to advanced dancers. All the time – in fact.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5. What else do you want at a dance?
- Free water: Yes
- Friendliness: 5 out of 5. Totally warm and welcoming.
- Location: 4 out of 5. It is along a side street and the first time I was there I wondered where the venue was, but really it’s not too hard to find not least because it is the only place in Ogle Street that looks like a club.
- Music: 5 out of 5 – nothing I couldn’t dance to and plenty that are a challenge
- Parking: 5 out of 5: the street and two car parks.
- Space: 4 out of 5 – just beware if it becomes more and more popular.
- Venue overall: 5 out of 5 – but getting close to 5.