Venue: Cambourne Village College
Address: Sheepfold Lane Cambourne Cambridgeshire CB23 6FR
The problem with this venue at the time of writing is the difficulty about finding the Ceroc site that covers this venue. The site has changed, but the new one is not linked to the main Ceroc site, nor to UK Jive, and Google doesn’t seem to know about it either.
I have reported this fact but it still doesn’t seem to be resolved.
Which is a shame because this venue used to be a great Friday or Saturday night dance outing, often packed with good dancers.
I went back for the first time in several years in 2017 and walked in at 8.15pm to find… I was the only person there. A few more turned up and at 8.30pm I got my first dance.
Again this is a shame because the venue is nice, the sound system is much improved from the old days, and there is free water, free food and a small bar laid on.
The location is outside of the town, and takes a bit of finding – head down Sheepfol Lane out into the countryside, over the bumps, turn left and you find this gigantic modern secondary school situated in a field. A nice place to dance, and when I went back in early 2017 some great dancers – when they turned up.
So why are the numbers right down? Well, in part because of the web site problem, which has now been going on for a couple of months – although of course maybe by the time you come to look that will be resolved.
- Air conditioning: 3 out of 5. It used to get very hot but last time I was there with a much smaller number it was ok.
- Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 – once people turned up they danced with enthusiasm, and generated their own atmosphere.
- Do ladies ask men: 5 out of 5. Maybe I was lucky but I got asked all the time.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5. It’s got a small bar and if you go there for a drink they may well not have your tipple, but otherwise its spacious, modern, clean and with a big car park.
- Free water: Yes.
- Friendliness: 4 out of 5 once the numbers started going up
- Location: 3 out of 5 – it is out of the way and a bit hard to find in the dark the first time you go. Just keep driving along the road.
- Music: 4 out of 5
- Parking: 5 out of 5
- Space: 4 out of 5 – it used to get crowded but now its great with loads of space.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5