Spondon is a small club held in a village hall. It’s still quite a new venue on the dance scene (as of 2017) and so on the different occasions I have been the number of dancers has varied quite considerably.
One thing to notice is that it does close at 11.15, rather than the usual 11.30pm, when holiday a dance night at the weekend.
Normally however there is a good number of dancers for the size of the venue. Like most village halls it doesn’t have a bar, although I believe there are some drinks on sale. The water is free.
It’s a modern venue, with tables and chairs on both sides and at the far end, so if number did rise they could always increase space by stacking up the tables and just having chairs along each side.
The car park is behind the village hall, and although I am sure it is adequate for village hall business I have found it pretty well full by the time I have got there. Always managed to sneak in, as I often arrive quite early, but it could ultimately be an issue.
The music is always excellent and varied – none of this hanging on to the same old set of jive standards that some venues do.
- Air conditioning: 5 out of 5. I am not sure there is air con, but I’ve never over heated.
- Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 – like so many of these small dance clubs based in village halls people who go tend to be committed to the club so they turn up early, and are really welcoming to friends.
- Do ladies ask men: 3 out of 5. Not totally, but there are always some who will.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5. It’s got a small bar and if you go there for a drink they may well not have your tipple, but otherwise its spacious, modern, clean.
- Free water: Yes.
- Friendliness: 4 out of 5. Because it is a small club, and they want new members, newcomers are noticed and welcomed and asked for a dance if not getting one.
- Location: 3 out of 5 – it is out of the way unless of course you are a native of the area. But the satellite found the way, so I was ok.
- Music: 5 out of 5
- Parking: 3 out of 5
- Space: 4 out of 5 – it is a modest sized venue, but I have never found it over crowded.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5