Freisland School, Nursery Avenue, Sandiacre, Nottingham
Freisland School is run as a venue by Ceroc Heaven, primarily with a weekly class and occasionally as a freestyle venue.
The occasion on which I visited it had two rooms in operation, one playing the standard Ceroc music through the night, and the other playing Motown at the start and then Blues in the later part of the evening. One was in the school hall, and the other what I believe must be the canteen.
The rooms are not large but they are plenty large enough for the number of people who turn up and they have a decent atmosphere, and are not reminiscent of a school hall.
But as with all Ceroc Heaven venues what makes it work is the drive and enthusiasm of those involved. They want to venues to happen, and so no matter how much it takes they make them happen.
- Air conditioning: None – it is after all a school, but it didn’t seem to get too hot. It might do in very hot weather however
- Atmosphere: 5 out of 5. These are just regular rooms but it really works – again because of the enthusiasm.
- Do ladies ask men: 5 out of 5. I didn’t know too many people there and went on my own, and maybe I got lucky, but it certainly worked for me.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5. Free water, food, plenty of space to sit out if you need to.
- Free water: Yes
- Friendliness: 5 out of 5. Totally warm and welcoming.
- Location: 5 out of 5. It is very close indeed to the motorway which makes it ideal for anyone travelling north/south along the M1.
- Music: 5 out of 5 – nothing I couldn’t dance to and plenty that are a challenge
- Parking: 3 out of 5: There was no problem when I arrived but I noticed some cars parked on the pavements when I emerged near the end of the evening. The problem is there is nothing that can be done about this within the school grounds as far as I can see, so it would be a case of parking in the road. I don’t think this would be a problem as it is in a residential area and there seemed to be a lot of parking available.
- Space: 4 out of 5 – just beware if it becomes more and more popular.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5 – but getting close to 5.