Run by Want2Dance this is a small club run in rooms above a pub in Melton Mowbray at Royal British Legion, Keswick House, Thorpe End, Melton Mowbray, LE13 1RB
The club runs on Wednesday evenings, and also runs occasional dances. From time to time the Wednesday event is given over to a dance, rather than the normal dance format.
It’s a small venue held over a bar, with a regular dedicated group of dancers, following the usual format most of the time. The two dance instructors are friendly and clearly enjoying what they do, and there’s a warm response from those who attend. The club has its regulars, but new faces appear regularly. If the huge halls that Ceroc uses on occasion are a bit intimidating for you, then this could serve your purpose much more readily.
One nice touch is that although the music contains some of the regulars, it doesn’t always stick to that. When the DJ realised my interest in a particular artist, he made sure that each time I turned up I got one of my favourite songs. A nice touch.
- Air conditioning: 5 out of 5 – I have never felt hot there – there must be an air con system at work behind the scenes I guess, but I am not sure how and where it is.
- Atmosphere: 3 out of 5. This is homely rather than vibrant and exciting – it all depends on the sort of venue you like.
- Do ladies ask men: 2 out of 5. Yes they do, but in my early days at the club I did all the asking. But then I was an outsider coming into a local club. But for those who regularly attend I do think you do get to know your favourite dancers.
- Facilities: 4 out of 5. The bar downstairs is part of a large drinking area, so they have everything you might need.
- Free water: Yes
- Friendliness: 4 out of 5 – no one came rushing up to greet me as a newbie, but I wasn’t in any way excluded. One night everyone had cake for a birthday celebration. A nice touch.
- Location: 4 out of 5. Town centre nearby Macdonalds (if that’s your idea of fun).
- Music: 4 out of 5
- Parking: 1 out of 5. There’s no car park as such – we parked in a residential street three minutes away, so you might have to do a little bit of searching. But it is not a busy area so you will quickly find something.
- Space: 3 out of 5. While the numbers are small it is perfectly adequate and they seem to stay at a reasonable level most of the time.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5