The Spirella Ballroom
Letchworth Garden City
Most dance venues have you dancing on the ground floor. At the Spirella Building you are on the fourth floor.
It’s a modern venue, with a gentleman at a desk on reception, lifts up to the fourth floor, and a modern hall (being refurbished in January 2014) with a stage at one end and a bar at the other.
That’s it really – the hall is a lot less interesting that one might have imagined given the nature of the building and the swishness of the entrance, but it serves its purpose.
Outside the carpark is more than adequate, and the whole location is only about five to ten minutes drive from the point where the A1 becomes the A1M (and of course vice versa if you are heading north).
This venue is run by Ceroc Central so there’s the usual smoothness of production and organisation. Dances on some fridays (about once a monthy) and a monday night dance club following the usual format.
It’s not the most inspiring of venues, nor the best crowd in the Ceroc Central region, but it works.
- Air conditioning: 3 out of 5 – it can get warmish, but never excessively hot.
- Atmosphere: 3 out of 5. Somehow it never seems to take off in the way that St Neots (for example) can do. It seems to get to a point, and then stop – there is no leap to that final level of excitement.
- Do ladies ask men: 3 out of 5. Yes they do – up to a point. But only up to a point.
- Facilities: 4 out of 5. The bar is small at the end of the hall, but they cope very well and there never seems to be a queue. The only things you can complain about are that the wine is either large or small (nothing in between) and the water comes in very tiny plastic cups. Are the large ones really that much more expensive? In the end most of us just take two cups.
- Free water: Yes – see note above.
- Friendliness: 2 out of 5 – it should be, because it is Ceroc Central, but it just isn’t. Maybe it something about living in Letchworth.
- Location: 4 out of 5. It’s within a collection of roads and roundabouts, of the A1/A1M interchange.
- Music: 3 out of 5
- Parking: 5 out of 5. On site, never full
- Space: 3 out of 5. It does get crowded on dance nights.
- Venue overall: 3 out of 5