Kettering (The Athletics Club)
This is the replacement venue for Ceroc when the main Kettering venue of Wiksteed Park is not available.
The problem is that although Wicksteed is a really nice venue with a decent floor (much of the time) and plenty of space, and plenty of parking, The Athletics Club to the north of the town is awful.
The dance floor is small, the bar charges £1 for a drink of water and not surprisingly most of the regulars at Wicksteed will have nothing to do with it.
So the audience is made up of beginners, and those desperate for a night out at any cost, plus a few of the regulars who will brave the wider world and go, because that is what they do on a Thursday night.
One of the quaint items to note is that the regulars at the Athletics Club who are there for the drinking, bingo or whatever is on, will often come and peek through the door to gawp. There’s no harm done, as long as you don’t mind. But none of them is what you might call athletic.
If you are learning modern jive, then its worth attending to keep your learning process running when Ceroc are thrown out of Wicksteed, but otherwise this is a venue to be avoided.
The crew for Kettering has recently changed, so the music may be worth a higher rating.
- Air conditioning: 1 out of 5 – just the fans, and they are not really that good when the place gets very busy.
- Atmosphere: 0 out of 5. It’s run down, there’s no investment, it’s crumbling.
- Do ladies ask men: 2 out of 5.
- Facilities: 2 out of 5. There is a bar, but beware the water issue.
- Free water: Absolutely not, what do you think we are, a charity? £1.00
- Friendliness: 1 out of 5
- Location: 3 out of 5. It’s on the northern outskirts of Kettering, on the main road to Corby.
- Music: 3 out of 5
- Parking: 0 out of 5. The club carpark is cramped and small, so can often be full. Street parking is allowed but there are terraced houses either side of all the roads, so sometime parking on the streets can be a long way away.
- Space: 0 out of 5. It really is small
- Venue overall: 1 out of 5