The Buckingham Community Centre
Cornwall Meadows, Buckingham MK 18 1RP
This venue is used for Ceroc classes which are run by the same couple who also used to run the successful venue at Rugby, and have also been associated with Peterborough. They now are involved in Bedford.
The Community Centre consists of two rooms, and lessons are taught on a monday night with occasional weekend dances.
I’ve only been to the dances but mostly they have been very good indeed – full enough so that they feel lively and fun, but not so full that they feel over crowded. There’s space on the dance floor, but plenty of people to choose from to dance with.
There’s no bar in the venue, but people bring in their own drink and on one of the two times I was there we were all given a glass of fizzy wine at the door – a nice touch. There’s food laid out too.
Marc and Sarah really work at their venues – they run the show, do the demo, play the music and then dance with the club members – at Rugby continuing to play the music until the numbers are thinning down. Marc’s comments about his partner during the lessons may not be to everyone’s taste, but you can’t fault his enthusiasm.
There’s food at the dances and the adverts suggest at the evenings as well, along with coffee etc. Not sure as I haven’t witnessed it, but it’s a nice touch.
- Air conditioning: Big fans – may be air con too. No problem.
- Atmosphere: 5 out of 5. It is a modern hall, so none of the coldness of the old halls from the 1960s. A nice feel.
- Do ladies ask men: 4 out of 5. Maybe I got lucky but I got requests to dance from beginners to advanced dancers. All the time – in fact.
- Facilities: 4 out of 5. No bar but bring your own drinks. Otherwise it has it all.
- Free water: Yes
- Friendliness: 5 out of 5. Totally warm and welcoming.
- Location: 5 out of 5. It’s on the edge of town, by a supermarket, with a more than adequate carpark. Not ideal signposting, but even if you miss the turn you’ll catch it next time around. Could do with a bigger notice outside too – and a signpost from the supermarket carpark. I am sure it is fine in daylight, but in the darkness of winter…
- Music: 5 out of 5 – nothing I couldn’t dance to.
- Parking: 5 out of 5 large car park right outside.
- Space: 4 out of 5 – just beware if it becomes more and more popular.
- Venue overall: 4 out of 5 – but getting close to 5.