The Fleet, Fleet Way, Peterborough
This club is currently used by both Ceroc and DanceXcess for weekend dances, but as far as I know, no mid-week classes are held here.
- Air conditioning: 5 out of 5 – I am not sure if there is air con, but either way I have never got overheated dancing here.
- Atmosphere: 3 out of 5. Somehow the atmosphere doesn’t quite work, but I can’t quite see why. It might be the layout of tables along one side of the room whereby people sit in groups of four. That makes it hard to break up a group by asking just one of the four people to dance. If only the tables could be got rid of then the chairs would face the dance floor, and people wouldn’t get into their little groups chattering to each other, rather than looking for a dance.
- Do ladies ask men: 2 out of 5. Not much. I have been asked a few times, but it is a rare occurance.
- Facilities: 5 out of 5 – they do food on freestyle nights organised by DanceXcess, although we’ve not been there for the Ceroc nights, with a pause for blues music for half an hour. Personally I carried on dancing and my partner and I had great fun meandering around the almost empty floor.
- Free water: Yes.
- Friendliness: 2 out of 5. There may not be actual cliques, but the arrangement of chairs means that people huddle in groups which are hard to break up. Women who want a dance seem more inclined to sit in their little groups rather than get up and look for dances
- Location: 3 out of 5. A bit out of the way – if you are not familiar with the city, don’t try and find this without a sat nav.
- Music: 5 out of 5 normally, but I have been there once when a guest DJ played an hour’s worth of utterly undanceable music.
- Parking: 4 out of 5. There is a large open air car park outside. I guess it might not be enough if the place became very popular but it certainly was satisfactory when I have been there.
- Space: 5 out of 5 – what is needed is more people there not more space.
- Venue overall: 3 out of 5. Change the chair arrangements to make it better.